When dating on cam chats, it is practically impossible to understand whether his/her interlocutor lies. In his article, Geiselman and his colleagues identified 9 main signs of behavior that show that an interlocutor is trying to deceive you. According to the results of research, liars on online video chats can be revealed by the following actions:
- Provide little information. Although this fact contradicts the prevailing opinion that deceivers come up with long fantastic stories to confuse an interlocutor. Studies conducted during a survey of college students showed that most of those people who tried to speak as little as possible lied to scientists.
- Constantly make excuses. Dishonest users spontaneously and unnecessarily give excuses for what they are telling, even if an interlocutor does not ask about it. Such people are afraid of accusations of lies in advance, and therefore, try to act proactively.
- Repeat after an interlocutor. To give themselves time to think about an answer, liars thoughtfully repeat the question that was just asked. Sometimes they change it a little bit when repeating so that their answer better fits into the story.
- They monitor the reaction of an interlocutor. They read your emotions, trying to understand whether you believe their stories. Having noticed distrust, deceivers on the go try to correct their mistakes or come up with new facts.
- Slow down speech at the beginning. It’s impossible to quickly create a story in mind, tell it, and simultaneously control an interlocutor’s reaction. But those who tell the truth do not bother – they can afford a slow and calm pace of speaking, while liars are often afraid to look suspicious. A cheater can change the speed of speech in one sentence: when he/she sees that an interlocutor believes him/her, he/she speeds up and begins to speak more actively and confidently.
- Do not end a thought. Liars prefer not to use complete phrases. They speak with fragments of sentences. Often they begin to answer and jump on another topic, leaving the previous one incomplete.
- Use distracting maneuvers. When you ask cheaters unpleasant questions, they purs their lips, wind their hair around their fingers. If a person’s gestures are directed from him-/herself towards an interlocutor, most often, it means that he/she tells the truth. At the same time, men are less likely to actively gesticulate than women.
- Deny facts without explanation. If an honest person is accused of lying, he will justify him-/herself by citing new facts and details that will confirm the truth of his/her words. But a liar has nowhere to take new facts from, so he/she denies deception without any specifics.
- Do not look away. Looking away and pondering is a normal reaction to a complex question that requires concentration or memory. But deceivers are afraid that such a pause may not be regarded in their favor. Thus, they respond immediately or look away briefly.